Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Moving Pains

Effective October 1, 2008, I officially moved away from the city where I've lived my entire life, starting a new adventure in mountain living.

Well, to be fair, I haven't lived IN Sacramento for years, but I've lived either in the city or in the suburbs, within 25 miles of my birthplace, all my life. Ask me where I live, no matter that my home is actually in Roseville or Citrus Heights, to say "Sacramento" is the automatic answer.

On the other hand, I haven't exactly moved to the dark side of the moon.

I moved to Pollock Pines, a little mountain community situated at the 4000' level of the Sierra Nevada mountains, along Hwy 50 in Northern California, about 60 miles east of Sacramento. Yes, they have electricity and running water, and even cable TV and Internet. Oh, and a Starbucks (not that Starbucks is any real barometer of the level of civilization in a community, but you get my point).

My home is a little mountain cabin, really. Quite a culture an house shock moving from a 3-bdrm/2 bath home situated in the suburbs of a large city, to a 1 bdrm/1 bath cottage situated on a long dirt driveway in a town of less than 4,000, but I think I'm adjusting OK.

To be honest, I love it. I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago.

So, stick with me while I learn about mountain living, and soon enough, how to deal with living in the snow. It should make for some interesting days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have a great site...I had no idea you were such a great photographer!...see you Sunday or maybe saturday at Glorias.

Bill krauss