Monday, November 3, 2008

Signs of Winter

I took a drive today. I love to drive. Back when gas prices were low, I used to go on a drive just about every weekend. I decided to take a trip up Highway 50 and Highway 89 to Hope Valley, up on Highway 88.

This photo is the American River near White Hall.






I hit snow at about 6500 feet, and it gradually got deeper and colder until I stopped here at about 7000 feet, just short of Echo Summit on Highway 50. Granted, the snow as just an inch or two, but the signs of winter were definitely here.





Coming down Highway 89 into Hope Valley, I stopped at the side of road where I had a wonderful view of the valley. Autumn colors were still very evident.





I wish I had gotten up here a little bit earlier, while the Aspen trees still had their leaves, but the reds and yellows were still spectacular.





This old cattle-driver's home sits in Hope Valley, just north of the Highway 88/89 junction. I'd driven by this for years, and finally stopped to investigate.





West Fork of the Carson River, from Highway 89.





This isn't a Thomas Kincaid print. It's a scene in Myers, CA along Highway 89, just south of Highway 50. The snow was coming down, the wind was blowing, and the trees were resplendent in their color.





All in all, it was a wonderful drive. See the entire slide show here.

No comments: